2015 Theme and Dates Announced
The 20th annual Chicago Artists Month will take place October 1 – November 15, 2015. CAM is a platform for independently-produced events and programs that showcase artists in all disciplines, fostering collaborations and tourism, and connecting people to the creativity in every Chicago neighborhood.
CAM 2015 Theme: The City as Studio: The State of the Art - Chicago
With the theme The City as Studio: The State of the Art – Chicago, CAM 2015 will be in dialogue with the inaugural Chicago Architecture Biennial (CAB). As visitors from around the world come to Chicago this fall to discuss the state of the art of architecture, CAM invites Chicago-based artists, performers, designers, writers and other creatives, as well as arts and community organizations, to envision the theme “The City as Studio” and look at Chicago as a place for production, investigation, innovation, and experimentation – through exhibitions, performances, installations, screenings, tours, festivals, art walks and more.
CAM 2015 Prioritizes: Experimental, innovative projects demonstrating a strong and original artistic/creative vision; new work; projects that increase public access to and participation in high-quality arts activities/events especially with underrepresented populations, and collaboration (between neighborhoods, genres, demographically, or other).
How to Participate: An open call for on-line submissions will be issued in mid-July and selections announced in August. All selected programs will be listed online and in a print guide distributed city-wide. Up to 20 programs and artists will be selected to feature. Featured programs receive an honorarium of $1,500 and enhanced marketing and technical support.
CAM Event Types: Submissions will be accepted in mid-July for the following event categories:
- Art Walk / Tour / Festival - A coordinated event(s) featuring work by Chicago artists in multiple spaces in a single neighborhood or a guided tour of work by one or more Chicago-based artists in a single or multiple locations.
- Exhibition / Installation - An organized presentation and display of a selection of works in a public location featuring one or more Chicago-based artists.
- Learning / Making - A class, conversation, lab, lecture, panel discussion, demonstration, art-making activity or other educational event that focuses on or is presented by a Chicago-based artist(s), or on a topic related to the Chicago arts community.
- Open Studio - A public opening of a communal studio or a building housing multiple studios located in Chicago.
- Performance / Screening - A music, theater, dance, spoken word, film or other time-based, site-specific event featuring one or more Chicago-based artists.
Chicago Artists Month (CAM) is an initiative of the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) that showcases the work of Chicago’s independent artists and arts organizations during the month of October. 2015 Program Partners include the Chicago Park District and Chicago Pubic Library. CAM highlights creative activity in Chicago neighborhoods; encourages tourism and small business development; fosters collaboration and opportunities for creative expression and learning.