Chicago Artists Month (CAM) is a month-long showcase of the creativity in every Chicago neighborhood, presented by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events during the month of October. In its 18th year, CAM offers a platform for Chicago-based artists and performers working in all media to promote and showcase their work, initiate collaborations and engage new audiences.
Past CAM events have ranged from exhibitions and performances to behind-the-scenes studio tours and neighborhood art walks, markets, classes, parades and conversations. Presenters include museums and artist collaboratives; galleries, theaters and film clubs; yoga studios, cultural centers, coffee houses, and other organizations throughout the city.
2014 Theme: Crossing Borders
Crossing Borders – actual physical borders, or conceptual, genre or societal borders, can be liberating, creative, stimulating, transgressive, dangerous, or affirmative. Often it is life-changing. CAM encourages participants to plan their program as a mash-up, crossing borders literally and figuratively – between neighborhoods and nations, within artistic genres, media and social scenes.
Featured Programs / Featured Artists
Twelve CAM submissions will be selected to be Featured Programs, based on the following criteria:
· Artistic Excellence
· Diversity (artistic genre, media, discipline, geographic, demographic)
· Preference to Multi-Arts
· Collaboration (between neighborhoods, genres, demographically, or other)
· Scheduling considerations
· Embodying the theme, Crossing Borders
Featured Programs will be invited to nominate participating Chicago-based artists from which the 2014 Featured Artists will be selected.
All CAM 2014 events must feature 2 or more Chicago-based artists, and be held in a public venue from September 27 – October 31, 2014. Private homes and studios must be part of a larger event , such as an open studio or neighborhood art walk.
Additional criteria include quality of work, diversity of artists/media/neighborhood/demographics, and preference will be given to cross-neighborhood or cross-genre collaborations.
How to Participate
- To apply, go to www.chicagoartistsmonth.org/partner to create an account or log in to your existing account
- Go to YOUR DASHBOARD, click on the type of event you plan to submit.
- Event choices are: Art Walk, Exhibition, Learning/Making, Performance, Studio Tour/Open House.
- Complete the fields and submit your preliminary information.
- When you submit your information, be careful to spell and punctuate everything correctly. Once approved, you will be able to edit your listing, add graphics and links. This is the information that will be used for press and media.
Submission Deadline is June 16, 2014
Meet & Greet, Cross Borders
All those interested in participating in CAM are invited to a Meet & Greet on June 4 4-6pm at the Chicago Cultural Center (78 E. Washington St.). The vision and logistics for CAM 2014 will be discussed and collaborations and "border crossing" will be facilitated. Click here to RSVP by June 1.
If you are new to CAM and have questions about presenting an exhibition or event this year, contact us for more information.